Annual Giving Campaign 2020
Joy, a bright young woman whose name embodies her spirit, came to us when she was 19 years old. Her mother’s husband, a pastor at a Chicago megachurch, had been abusing Joy for years, but neither her mother nor the church believed her when she reported him. Unfortunately, Joy’s mother also played into harmful misconceptions that young women may invite unwanted attention or even sexual abuse through their behavior or dress. Upon realizing that he would not suffer any consequences from his wife or his church, Joy’s abuser’s behavior intensified.
Joy internalized these painful and negative judgments, which led to self-harm and suicide attempts. Fortunately, Joy reached out to Resilience and began to participate in free individual trauma therapy. During her time in therapy, Joy found comfort in the positive, supportive atmosphere that was lacking at home and was able to join a therapy group specifically for Black women like her. Through that sisterhood, group members found an even deeper sense of healing and growth; Joy and her “girls” made profound connections and together found that they were not alone in their trauma and, most liberating, that they were not at fault, a revelation that Resilience wishes for every survivor.
Joy’s story reminds us all of the importance of supporting each and every survivor in need during one of the darkest times of their lives.
Amid the turmoil of 2020, Resilience has experienced one of the darkest and most vulnerable years in our agency’s history. We’ve faced fiscal challenges, the logistical difficulties of providing safe and remote services for the survivors we serve, and fought to secure the future of our agency. We simply couldn’t do this without the support of generous donors like you.
During our 2020 annual giving campaign, we are asking you to help us make a difference in the lives of survivors of sexual violence. Your gift is more valuable than you know, allowing us to, for example, continue to provide free Trauma Therapy services to clients like Joy who need it the most.
November marks the beginning of the season when we take time to reflect, give thanks and share with others. While this thanksgiving season is truly unlike any other we’ve faced together, so many of us continue to have much to be thankful for. As you take time for gratitude, I also ask those who can to continue to stand with Resilience and support our mission during this critical time in the history of both our country and our agency. Our doors opened in 1974 because of a mighty few who believed in the importance of supporting survivors of sexual violence; Resilience was there 46 years ago and, with your help, we always will be.
Times are extremely challenging for so many of us right now for so many reasons. A big gift may not be possible, and we understand! However, every gift makes an impact and helps survivors like Joy. Even five dollars, even ONE dollar, can make a huge difference.
But support isn’t just monetary. Spreading the word, encouraging your network to support Resilience, sharing our social media posts – it all comes together to make our annual giving campaign a success.
So, with all this in mind, will you join us and donate today?
GivingTuesday is a global day of charitable giving to causes we believe in. GivingTuesday brings people together for a day of giving back.
This GivingTuesday, we ask you to help Resilience through a gift of your money or time. Participate in GivingTuesday by giving to Resilience’s mission to empower survivors and end sexual violence.
But remember, monetary support is not the only way to make a difference. Spreading the word about Resilience helps us in immeasurable ways. Here’s a sample social media post to get you started.
Today is #GivingTuesday, and I’m participating by raising funds to support Resilience. Resilience is an organization dedicated to the healing and empowerment of survivors of sexual violence. [Feel free to share more about what Resilience means to you!]
Want other ways to get involved? Here are a few ideas!
- Create a Facebook fundraiser in support of Resilience. Click here to find out more about Facebook Fundraisers, including how you can start your own.
- A great way to show your support for survivors is to host a peer-to-peer fundraiser for Resilience! Click here to start your own fundraiser page for Resilience.
- Follow Resilience on social media and share our posts with your own networks. You can find us at @ResilienceChi on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Looking for a few sample social media posts? We’ve got you covered!
- Save the date: #GivingTuesday is December 1! We’re proud to be part of this global celebration of giving with @ResilienceChi. Visit ourresilience.org to donate. #OurResilience
- #MyGivingStory isn’t about me at all. It’s about all the big-hearted volunteers at @ResilienceChi who give their time to support survivors and their loved ones. Join us: visit ourresilience.org to give and learn more. #GivingTuesday #OurResilience
- Leave a <3 below if you’ll join me in supporting @ResilienceChi today! Donate at ourresilience.org. #GivingTuesday #OurResilience
- It’s #GivingTuesday! Please join me in supporting @ResilienceChi, an organization dedicated to the healing and empowerment of sexual violence survivors in Chicago. Visit ourresilience.org to donate. #GiveResilience
Remember, it is through the support of people like you that we are able to continue to provide our free services to people like Joy who need us. No gift of money or time is too small. Thank you, thank you for your generosity and for making a difference in the lives of survivors.